1. If you're an American, you can check out the U.S. State Department's Passport Services web page.

2. American citizens can also get passport applications at any federal or state courthouse, or at a post office. You can locations in the government listings of your phone book.

3. You will need to pay $65, and the passport will be valid for 10 years.

4. You'll need to provide proof of citizenship (e.g., a birth certificate, a certificate of naturalization, a certificate of citizenship) as well as two photographs. Yes, these photographs must be of you.

5. If you are Canadian, you can check out the Canadian Passport Office web page.

SoYouWanna know more? Check out our full-length article SYW plan a trip to Australia?