Ever since that "Revolutionary War" thing, the United States has always had a chip on its shoulder when it comes to Great Britain. We make fun of their funny accents, their bad food, and the fact that they still revere a queen. But without the English, we never would have had James Bond, The Beatles, or Gwyneth Paltrow movies. All we are saying… is give England a chance.

England is the perfect place for you to travel to if you're thinking about taking your first out-of-the-U.S. trip. It's relatively close, they speak English, and there's tons of stuff to do. So much, in fact, that you probably need a little bit of help organizing yourself. That's where we come in, matey. (Wait, that's not English. That's pirate. Sorry.)


Get a passport

If you already have a passport, congratulations: you've just saved yourself $65. If not, then go down to your local copy center and get two passport-sized copies of your mug. Bring your pics and some proof of your citizenship - a birth certificate, a certificate of naturalization, or a certificate of citizenship - to a post office (or if you prefer, a state or federal courthouse). Fill out an application, and in a month you'll have your passport. Make sure to plan in advance, or you'll have to shell out an extra $35 - $95 for expedited service.

Americans with questions about passports may refer to the U.S. State Department's Passport Service page. Those of you who need can't wait a month and need your passport NOW should call Passports and Visas.com at 1-800-860-8610. If you're Canadian, then check out the Canadian Passport Office site for information, eh?

Get a visa

If you are an American or Canadian citizen planning to stay in England for less than six months, you do not need to get a visa. But anyone who is in England for more than 6 months needs to get one. They don't cost much - depending on how long you're staying, it'll probably cost you $50-$100 - and you can get the forms online.

You can get a visa from any British Embassy; here's a list of addresses and phone numbers to find the one nearest you. It might also help you to read our infamous article "SYW get a visa?"